Friday, December 14, 2007

It's time!!

My snacking was starting to get out of control, and my jeans are now a little tight. Yeah, it's time — I feel ready, I feel ABLE, I feel willing (finally) — to do the work needed to lose weight. I've asked P. to help, which means he has agreed to punish me for breaking the rules. I know, what a guy! Now I'm in the process of putting together the exact rules. I can't take this lightly because it has to be a regime that will work, but it also has to be one that I can live with, with goals I can accomplish.

At our company Christmas party yesterday, I did not overeat, as far as lunch goes. But when it came time for dessert I ate a small ramekin of creme brulee along with my serving of fruit. So last night, I confessed this to P. Because we had not agreed to the exact guidelines yet, he asked me if I felt I should be punished. Was it "fair" to hold me to a rule not yet in place? I thought about that, and I said, "Yes." I did not want to snack, I'd said I would avoid snacking, and giving in to the temptation of dessert was, I believe, a violation of that. I avoided the cheesecake, dessert crepes, chocolate-mousse-filled chocolate cups, and other items that were probably worse than the creme brulee, BUT I still gave in and had dessert.

So he punished me. He used the liquid cane and gave me five strokes for the one violation. The liquid cane is a good tool for this purpose because it's nasty and hard to take; but, unlike a paddle, I'm not afraid I'm getting permanent damage. Psychologically, a thick wooden paddle would be the best deterrent because that's something I really fear. Perhaps if we do go and decide on the paddle as the implement P. can agree to pace the strokes. (Of course I'm going to be so good that I won't get ANY!)

There is always the argument that, for someone who craves and gets excited by the idea of punishment (and pain), this would not be a deterrent. I don't really believe that. What happened when I did this with my former "trainer" a few years ago was that I took it as a challenge. I felt really motivated to do well, so the times when I fell short, I felt bad. My trainer's punishment, I believe, gave me CLOSURE on my infraction — rather than beating myself up and thereby setting myself up for more failure, I took my paddling and we moved on. In addition, I had set up fairly strict rules for myself and, overall, I was doing well with them. So, only earning two or three infractions in a week wasn't so bad. Ultimately, his attention became, in a bizarre way, praise for what I WAS doing well. Plus, I simply got attention, which helped my self-esteem and gave me additional motivation to keep going. I ended up losing about twenty pounds.

But, that was a few years ago and now the weight has crept back up (I hope not all the way!) So, for me, a huge pain slut, yes, this system worked. It basically only worked, however, because I was motivated to begin with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I realized about a month before I started dieting that I was going to have to do it. The clothes were just too tight.

I don't know if I could benefit from having a disciplinarian punish me for cheating. The decision to eat that dessert is such a spur of the moment temptation, and I would probably decide, what the hell, I'll deal with the consequences later, I want this right now!

That being said, I am on the very slow weight loss plan. I'm losing 2 to 3 pounds per month and I'm actually getting used to popsicles instead of ice cream and chewing gum instead of candy bars.

We eat out a lot, and I'm trying to behave when I order. Sometimes just a dinner salad or a cup of soup, sometimes something from the healthy section.

I've lost eight pounds and I can really feel it in my clothes. I'm wearing pants I haven't worn for a while, and the clothes that were tight are now baggy.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Girl on the QMIA... said...

Excellent! Congratulations. Yeah, i've always found that no one else can MAKE me acheive a goal. There might be rewards or deterrents provided by others along the way, but I've had to motivate myself to do it. It's so hard. I've been good for four days yet the cravings are strong.

Anonymous said...

There are so many factors involved (physical, psychological, emotional, environmental) in losing weight and maintaining that lower number that all anyone can say is hey, if it works for you, go for it!

Internal motivation is key as you know - that tends to work best for me as well. But external motivation can help you get over tough spots, plateaus, times when your mental attitude is not all it could be.

I'm stuck at a plateau right now, and given the holiday mess of more/fancier food/desserts and less gym time, I'm worried! I'm not sure how spanking would work for me - I'd like to think I would not, in my mind, convert punishment to "he doesn't like me because of my weight" - but who knows.

I'm noticing that now I'm older, it is harder to lose the weight. Darned slower metabolism.

I do know that I need reasonable goals, and they don't always include a lower number on a scale. Don't forget that you might maintain weight over the weeks, but if you are exercising you might be gaining muscle and changing your shape. Tape measures show the changes along with the scale. I know that I gained muscle, which helps me mentally when the scale doesn't show what I want to see.

All my best wishes to you in this endeavor!

- Dolly