Friday, December 21, 2007

The infamous Ikea dresser



We got the dresser assembled last week. Hallelujah! And P. helped. After all that time, I wasn't sure I wanted help. On Sunday afternoon I had a block of time available and I said, "I'm going into the bedroom and putting the dresser together!" He was on the computer, but said, "OK. What do I need to do to help?" I was annoyed that he hadn't volunteered earlier to help. It was sitting on our bedroom floor for ages. But, two things -- 1), I should have ASKED for help, and 2) I COULD have done it myself, but didn't. So I was annoyed and was bitchy about him jumping in just because I'd finally decided to get it done, but I was feeling so overwhelmed with all the parts that I was glad afterwall that he'd jumped in.

I eventually apologized for my bitchiness. And when we were done he made me kneel on the floor and lean over the edge of the bed. Then he gave me a good hairbrushing for my rudeness. (I love when he takes charge like that -- and it HURT!).

By the way, I spoke with a male friend at one of my meetings and he identified completely with P. He said men don't like to do anything and rarely will volunteer. I said, "So why did my husband offer to help me when I was heading to the bedroom?" My friend says, "Because if he hadn't, he would have felt guilty!" Oh -- is that true?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The dresser looks great! One more thing off your to do list, plus now instead of a package taking up space, it is furniture holding clothes. Yay!

We love building our IKEA furniture together. Gives us time to talk if we do it while kids are otherwise occupied.

-Dolly