Tuesday, January 1, 2008

One party to go!

Happy New Year to all! I made it through New Year's Eve without overeindulging, and I managed to get a bit of exercise dealing with some of the bad boys and girls. This morning I've already done my pushups and crunches and I'll take a walk later if it's not raining. It looks bleary and gray out, but I don't think it's raining.

Today we are going to my husband's aunt's Manhattan apartment for a family New Year's Day open house. The last (I hope) occasion where I'll have to be on guard, in self-denial mode. We have this German chocolate cake in the fridge that we are bringing to the party and it's one of my favorite cakes... but we'll see.

I talked briefly about resolutions earlier, about how making them and starting right on New Year's Day seems destined for defeat. If I want to change something BIG, I try to start before New Year's Day. Maybe it's cheating -- maybe this means I'll only commit to it in the New Year IF I've already established a pattern. But probably not. In the case of dieting, it prevents you from doing one "last" big binge, and waking up disgusted the next morning, unable to eat the healthy breakfast you should be eating.

But my body is just my body. I have more important things I need to work on, such as doing what's good for me (emotionally), saying no when I should, being more positive, being more balanced, being more accepting of other people -- good AND bad. (I hereby resolve not to get pissed off at loud cell phone talkers on the bus... ha! is that going to be the first resolution out the window?). Maybe a better resolution would be -- I hereby resolve to NOT do something that would make me angry if someone else did it. Golden rule, perhaps?

Have a great 2008.

No comments: