Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Stress and celebrity sightings



I think I'm simply worn down from the last couple of months. We have a very small staff on the publication I work for, and having one editor leave two months ago (or has it been three months?) has left us working longer hours and of course, a bit stressed.

I had scheduled an appointment to give blood after work today, so I took the 1 Train south to 66th Street and walked across town. The blood donation center is on 67th Street between 1st and 2nd avenues, and I used the long walk as a kind of an unwinding of the day.

Going cross-town right there takes you through Central Park, and it's still light enough at 6 p.m. to be a safe place to walk. It was a mild afternoon and I passed one large field where tons of people were throwing Frisbees around. I have not thrown a Frisbee in years; I used to love that, and was wishing I could join them. Others were playing catch or were engaged in other sports-like activities.

In the middle of all this there was ONE man, by himself, slowly performing Thai Chi moves. He looked like he didn't notice ANYTHING around him at all. What a state of being! Could I ever achieve that? In my current state of mind, no, but one-day-at-a-time, I'll keep working on it.

My blood must be thin, or maybe I don't have a lot of cholesterol, because the bag filled up very quickly. Afterward, the blood center technician wrapped my arm in this ridiculous self-stick gauze that was white with red hearts. Really, I did NOT need to be walking the streets of New York with this on... but they left me no choice.

Last time I gave blood I had two celebrity sightings on the Upper East Side. At least I THOUGHT I saw two famous people; I passed comedian Robert Wuhl (hey, check this out: http://www.hbo.com/events/rwuhl/) on 3rd near 63rd. Just a block or two later, Paul Giamatti came jogging by. I hardly ever see celebrities and maybe my eyes were deceiving me. But according to the NY Post, celebrities can be seen in many places in NY. And they do things just like you and me!

Getting silly now. Must get some sleep. Much as I'd like to, I can't take tomorrow off. Still too much to finish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NYC is the place to spot celebrities. I've seen too many to name but over the past couple of years I've seen Adrian Brody, John Travolta and Bill Clinton. But more importantly, they saw me and now have something to write on their blogs.

Girl on the QMIA... said...

Oh, I forgot that I also saw Nicole Richey and Kelley Osbourne going into the Bryant Park tent during fashion week. Nicole Richey had a really big head compared to her scrawny body.