Monday, July 7, 2008

Blogger's block strikes again

Just got back from a business trip over the long weekend, which was quite successful, but the work is not finished and I still have to write an article about the event. I had my laptop with me over the weekend, but the weekend was hectic and I barely had time to check emails, let alone blog. By Sunday, when I flew home, I was exhausted. I know this is not a good excuse, however, and I'll get back to blogging soon.

(Does a blog about not being able to come up with a blog topic count as a blog?)

Anyway, there were witnesses who, I hope, will report back to my boss about my brilliance over the weekend. I was very nervous about having to do some public speaking -- a brief talk in front of a large crowd; and conducting a workshop on Saturday. Both went well, I think. I was pretty well prepared for the workshop and did a decent job of leading a back and forth exchange with the audience. Not something I've ever done before, so I was happy it worked out. The weekend conference, beyond being a lot of work, was fun for me. I met a lot of interesting people.

I hate still feeling insecure at work, though. I do the best that I can and I think that I'm doing all right, but I want to be a little more confident and assertive; I'm not quite there yet. Strangely, I DO think that topping more in my scene life helps me in my work and vanilla life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more you do this, the more confidence you'll have. Like anything, public speaking and leading workshops takes practice.

I am sure it was great, and it won't hurt for your bosses to hear it! -Dolly

Anonymous said...

I found the same to be true. Once I started actively Topping, I saw that I was building a great deal of confidence in myself. It's not that I walk around my office shoving people this way or that, it's just that I am full of confidence in my skills and don't allow myself to be pushed around anymore by anyone.

It's very liberating.

Girl on the QMIA... said...

Thanks for the comments!

Well, speaking of being assertive -- my boss likes to try to nickel and dime us, so before I left for this trip she said she would give me TWO comp days for working Friday (the holiday) and Saturday.

I very politely responded, "Since I am working Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights as well, plus traveling on Sunday, I would like to be given three comp days." She agreed...

Indy said...

This is such a hard skill to learn-- and to teach to those I'm mentoring. It never ceases to amaze me how readily people believe that you're good if you project confidence and that you're not it you don't. You'd think people would be more perceptive.

Hhhmm, it never occurred to me to recommend topping as a way to practice projecting confidence!

I'm glad the business trip was a success and I hope you'll find a good way to use those comp days. :-)

I really like this blog, Sandy!

Ms. Cassandra (Sandy) Park said...

Thanks, Indiana! Too tired to write tonight; will try to think of a topic for tomorrow