Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I'm annoyed --- what else is new?

WHY am I getting so annoyed lately? It must be the heat. It's so sticky and muggy here; my sinuses are really clogged up; I've had a headache on and off for two days.

We were in the grocery store tonight after work, and at the checkout I started to head to the end of the counter to bag the groceries (Rad was paying). Then I saw there was already a guy down there bagging. Oh, that's cool. I looked at him again and I saw he was not wearing a store uniform or name tag, however -- and then I noticed the tip cannister on the corner of the bagging area.

All right. I opened my mouth. I say, "Excuse me, do you work here?" The kid said, "Yes," but he didn't sound too certain. I said, "Oh, okay. I was just wondering why there was a tip jar there."

The kid gave the cashier a look. Rad gave me a look. I know he thinks I should just be quiet. Pick and choose your battles, he says. Yes, I know, I know. There are many, many other things to get bugged about, like the Korean ladies who come into a restaurant pushing DVDs while you're trying to eat, and the loudmouths in the Starbucks, and people who stand suspiciously too close to you on the train platform so you have to really watch your bag (to randomly name a few).

Still ... this gets to me. I just don't like the implication that I should tip in a non-tipping situation. I don't like it at Starbucks, or Dunkin Donuts, or anywhere else where's there's counter service. I hate it in a restroom, where a lady hands you a paper towel you could have ripped off the roll yourself. I HAVE tipped at Starbucks on occasion to get rid of some change, but ONLY if the employee is nice to me -- otherwise forget it, and regardless of how little these employees are paid -- no one is obliged to tip. At sit-down restaurants, I'm always generous. That's where you're SUPPOSED to tip.

Rad and I had a discussion after we left the grocery store. I said I'd try harder to not open my mouth at the slightest provocation. I felt justified in expressing my views while we were still at the store. But I probably really didn't do too well with that, come to think of it. I was indirect and passive-aggressive. Not the best way to register a complaint.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It also seems you were caught off guard by an unusual situation, and did not exactly have a stock response ready. Not your fault--I'd feel odd about it too.

I think you need to move somewhere quieter, where life is not so annoying. Say, oh, 4 hours south... ;-) -Dolly

Ms. Cassandra (Sandy) Park said...

I was in a much better mood today. I'm working on it!