Thursday, November 29, 2007

Don't worry

I have my moments, but I'm not turning into ranting subway lady just yet. Today I get on the 1 train south, which is not crowded, and thankfully I get a seat on the end with no one touching me. I am trying not to look at anyone directly, but across from me, slightly to the right, is this pair of skinny legs moving and stomping. Stomp, stomp, stomp. Oh, no, someone's "dancing" along to her i-Pod, I think. I mutter out loud the first phrase that comes to me, "Oh, no, we don't need this."

Well, turns out the girl didn't have her i-Pod on, she was just being randomly obnoxious, and she must have heard me because she stopped. She and her two young twitty friends continued to talk loudly across the train to each other, but at least no more stomping. At 96th THEY didn't move, so I did -- got off and hopped on the express to 42nd. A lot of people get off at 96th to catch the 2 or 3, but I like staying on the 1 local because once it clears out it's so nice, and the express at that time of day tends to be crowded. As it was, I did have to stand in the middle of the car, but no one was touching me, I had a pole to grip, and when the evening's performance started (a VERY bad, thankfully not-too-loud singer), I pulled out my i-Pod and blasted my own music.

A good commute, although, between trains to Astoria and the traffic home, we tend to get in very late. It's 8 p.m. already and P. is just cooking dinner now.

No comments: