Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Beautiful, busy day off


I have to admit I have a hard time relaxing. It's something I need to work on -- but in the meantime, there are things to be done. Today I took a personal day, with the idea that I would use it to go over to Social Security office and the Department of Motor Vehicles to officially change my name (in case anyone doesn't know, P. and I got married last December, and till today I hadn't legalized my name change).

Drive to Jamaica, which I am not familiar with. It is a busy area, and I had forgotten quarters for the meter so I drove till I found a free parking place a distance away from Social Security but reasonably close to Motor Vehicles. Social Security was annoying. A long line to wait on, a Chinese girl standing behind me too closely, repeatedly bumping into me as a result. Glares and constant shifting did not get through to her, apparently. I know it's a cultural thing somehow. I need more space to feel comfortable; perhaps she simply needs LESS to feel comfortable.

When my turn came, the employee was less than helpful. Downright surly. Stared at my marriage license, then checked computer screen, then stared at license, then checked screen again, all the while saying nothing to me. I was feeling really uncomfortable, waiting for some bad news that I didn't have "proper" documentation. (What that could have been, I have no idea). Finally he shoved a paper at me through the window opening to sign. I signed it and he didn't say anything else. "Is that it, then?" A surly nod. Okay, then, have a good day. I get new card in about two weeks. He lectured me that I must have our last name on mailbox. OK. Whole visit took, I guess, around 45-50 minutes.

At the NY Department of Motor Vehicles I had a completely opposite experience. All three people I had to deal with were friendly: The information desk lady, the photo lady, and the payment dude. I was second in line to information, she took my form and told me to step around to the photo area. I stepped around, expecting to wait half an hour like in Jersey. No. They took my picture right away, and the lady let me look at the screen to make sure I liked it. Then they said to wait in the other area for my number to be called. I had a seat, again expecting a half-hour wait, but then I looked up at the screen and my number was already up there. I walked over to the window, signed something, gave him my check, and that was it. New license in two weeks. Total amount of time: less than 10 minutes. Unbelievable. I'm very excited about my new name finally being official, by the way!
Between SS and DMV I walked down Jamaica Boulevard. There are tons of discount stores there, and I walked into a fabric shop to check out their prices. While I was browsing I noticed they sold foam rubber. This is one of my many projects to finish -- fixing the couch, which my cats have destroyed, for Paul. I was going to order foam from a Manhattan place, but this was cheaper, and I got more for the price. The guy cut it for me using an electric knife, the kind you carve a turkey with. I bought some muslin to cover it, and I'll pick out upholstery fabric later. (I'll have to bring in a swatch of the old cover to match the color).
Then I had to walk about seven blocks back to the car with this load -- but it was worth it.
After DMV, I went home, did laundry,
then decided to put up the bike hangers that I bought ages ago. The bike needed to be put out of the way.
While I had the drill out, I also put up the first of several closet hangers I'm installing to hold our toys. There wasn't time for anything else, I had to go pick P. up then. We had pork chops and I made "zucchini boats" as a side dish.

Yes, I'm insane. Too much for one day. And I still have my aa meeting later.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in awe of your brilliant, productive day! They rock, when you get on a roll like that. And at least if SS had to be a pain, the DMV was not. YAY!