Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The MTA tells the truth?

10/16/07, 8:50 a.m. waiting for 1 train at 96th street platform, which is packed.

"Step back, step back!" conductor cries. "If you can't fit on this train there's another one right behind this one!" Hm. Truth or dare?

What does "right behind" mean today? People are stuffing in like sardines. I don't really want to squeeze in, and I'm probably still going to be on time, or, at the very least, just a few minutes late, if I wait for the next train. I step back and stand on the platform, acting cool and nonchalant. In reality, as soon as the packed 1 train pulls out, I'm staring down the tunnel waiting for the glow of headlights.

Incredible! There are lights approaching! Not more than 30 seconds later, the next 1 train pulls into the station, with plenty of seats. "They're actually telling the truth today?" I say to a guy next to me on the platform. "Amazing!" He smiles back and we both get on the train.

1 comment:

Richard Windsor said...

Don't even get me started on the MTA, the most stressful part of my day. For 9 years I have taken the L train, and you know what? They STILL have daily signal trouble!! You would have thought after 9 years they would have fixed it by now.

Piece of irony though, when I go out with my companion and stay over at her place, we also take the 1 train in the morning at 96th ST. Keeps your eyes open for the sideburns and the Asian chick next to me ;-)

Richard Windsor.