Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Nasty!

Wednesday’s commute – nasty, slushy, drizzly. But at least not too cold, thank God. A little wetness has seeped into my so-called waterproof boots during my one-block walk to the bus stop. No one has shoveled this section of sidewalk, so we’re standing and waiting on a layer of icy snow that now beginning to melt. It’ll be gone by mid-morning for sure. There are six people at the bus stop already as I approach and step to the end of the line (express bus riders wait in polite lines). Two more people arrive after me. Must mean the bus is late, which means it’ll be crowded – naturally.

Yes – when it arrives finally there’s nearly a full house. Those with empty seats next to them have that “don’t pick me” attitude -- they're trying not to make eye contact. One lady has arrogantly sat on the aisle seat to avoid having a seatmate. I would pick her FIRST out of sheer spite, but I want someone thinner. I’d rather sit next to a woman, but one man looks skinny and I almost choose the seat next to him before spotting a fairly thin woman further back. I pick her. I stash my coat, hat, scarf, and umbrella on top in the luggage rack to further reduce crowding. God, I hate having to touch people if I can avoid it. It’s the big, comfortable bus today, though, so it won’t be a bad ride.

I have been reading a book called “My Private Life: Real Experiences of a Dominant Woman,” by Mistress Nan. It’s a very well-written book and it’s been giving me some inspiration for my own play. I had considered reading it on the bus. But my seatmate had been reading the Bible when I sat down, and now I feel funny about pulling out such a book. I’ll continue with the Anne McCaffrey I had also been reading. Or, I’ll go through some receipts I need to organize. Or put on my i-Pod and just shut my eyes.

It’s that time of the month. I’ve been irritated for two days. I’m going to be positive and happy today. Okay. We’ll see…

No comments: