Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lucky -- addendum to "a rough night"

I must have someone watching out for me. I forgot one important OTHER event that happened last night. I unknowingly dropped my wallet while getting out of a cab at 51st and Broadway. I was carrying that huge bag, and was digging through it on the trip downtown, trying to find my earrings and necklace. In the meantime I had the wallet out because i was taking out a twenty to pay the driver with. I must not have tucked the wallet back where it belonged, and then dropped it outside.

We got lucky. A guy found it, looked us up in the phone book and called my husband while I was still in the city. He left his number, but told P. on the phone he would mail the wallet back. I had no cash in it, but of course, all my cards would have had to be replaced. So I call him back this morning to thank him profusely. We agree to meet at a Starbucks on 51st and Broadway at 1 p.m. I am pretty busy at work but I rush down there (takes abotu 15, 20 minutes each way). He's a sweet young guy, probably mid-20s. We say hello, then I express some excuse about how distracted I was the night before, and that's why I dropped. Like dropping a wallet is such a "careless" thing to do, and it's "wrong" to be so careless in New York City.

But he's just being nice. I hand him an envelope with $20 in it, a note on the outside : "Have lunch on me. You're a lifesaver! Ok, maybe not quite a lifesaver, but you sure saved me a huge hassle." He made like he wasn't going to take the money, but I insisted.

Pretty cool, huh? How often does THAT happen? Needless to say I WILL be more careful here on in.

No comments: